PAMIS (Promoting A More Inclusive Society)
We support people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, PMLD – their families, carers and professionals.
PAMIS is the only organisation in Scotland that works solely with people with profound and multiple learning disabilities and their families for a better life. We celebrate our 30th anniversary in 2022. In that time we have grown from a small charity to a well-established and valued part of the voluntary sector.
Services and Projects
We are a leading organisation that is responsive to the needs of the people we support in innovative and creative ways.
- Family Support Service – Partnership working with families, carers and professionals
- Learning and Development – learning from experience, research and knowledge of good practice
- Leisure – accessing cultural and recreational activities
- PAMIS Digital Passports – supporting inclusive communication
- Postural Care – understanding the impact of posture and positioning for someone with profound and multiple learning disabilities
What is PMLD?
People with PMLD are a group of individuals with learning disabilities in the profound range, and have a number of complex healthcare needs. Their disabilities can present challenges for them and those providing care.
However, PAMIS recognise that ‘profound’ also means deep, intense, wise and requiring great insight or knowledge. Although many people with PMLD have significant disabilities, they are also teachers, facilitators and can make a great contribution to our lives.