News
17 June 2025
Rape Crisis Grampian to receive £1000 donation from Celebrate Aberdeen

Reading time: 2 minutes

Members of the team at Rape Crisis Grampian, Emma Jeal, Smrithi Earayil, Eiona Scott, Andrea Tait. 

Rape Crisis Grampian (RCG) has been chosen as this year’s recipient of the Celebrate Aberdeen Parade collection fund.

The organisation will use the £1,000 fund to purchase personal alarms, door stop alarms and window alarms, essential safety tools that will directly support survivors of sexual violence by helping them feel safer in their homes and communities.

The funding pot came from the collecting buckets carried by volunteers during the 2024 parade. Around 130 organisations took part in last year’s parade, and all were invited to bid for the street collection donation, outlining how they would use the money if selected.

Since the parade in 2011, thousands of pounds have been raised by the generosity of the spectators who line the parade route. One hundred per cent of the money collected is donated to the selected organisation.

“We are wholeheartedly grateful to Celebrate Aberdeen for the generous award of £1,000 in support of our work at Rape Crisis Grampian,” said RCG Manager Wilma Thomson.

“Many survivors accessing RCG services face differing safety issues because their perpetrator knows where they work or live. The items which we will buy thanks to Celebrate Aberdeen’s funding award will enable us to provide a level of reassurance where it is very much needed.

“This support not only provides practical resources but also sends a powerful message of solidarity and care to those we support. Heartfelt thanks to the organisation for standing with us in our aim to create a safer, more supportive environment for survivors across the north-east.”

RCG is a voluntary organisation established in response to survivors telling them they needed a specialist service for those who have experienced rape, sexual abuse, and exploitation. 

The organisation, part of Rape Crisis Scotland, provides free and confidential, emotional support and advocacy support to survivors, over the age of 11 years, who have experienced sexual violence at any time in their lives.

It also offers support for family/friends of survivors and is focused on the elimination of sexual violence through challenging attitudes and myths, promoting equality, empowerment, and education. It engages with schools, colleges, universities and other youth organisation to deliver presentations on topics relating to identification and prevention of sexual violence.

“Rape Crisis Grampian provides invaluable support to survivors of sexual violence and we’re very pleased to name it as this year’s recipient,” said Celebrate Aberdeen board member John Slater.

“The calibre of applications for this donation is always very high and emphasises year on year how much good work is going on across our region. I’d like to thank everyone who took the time to apply; it’s never easy choosing just one recipient. I’d also like to thank the members of the public whose generosity in donating to the collection buckets makes this possible.”

Organisations have until Wednesday, July 30 to register for this year’s Celebrate Aberdeen parade which will take place on Saturday, August 23.

Nominations are also open for the 2025 Celebrate Aberdeen Awards, with applications invited by Monday, August 18.

More information on the awards and details on how to register for the parade are available at www.celebrate-aberdeen.org

Share this story

Want to keep up with the latest from Aberdeen’s third sector?

ACVO News February 2026

Read ACVO News – our monthly free digital magazine with updates, opportunities and highlights for and from Aberdeen’s third sector

Sign up below and click the magazine above to read the latest edition

More news from Aberdeen’s third sector