The No Recourse, North East working group was set up at the end of 2014 with the aim of sharing case studies and learning with partner agencies, focusing on cases where agencies have tried to support clients with No Recourse to Public Funds. Many people from outside of the UK have ‘no recourse to public funds’ stipulated in their visas, preventing them from accessing most housing, homeless and welfare benefit assistance. Often these case studies show the very difficult circumstances people find themselves in, usually with a significant impact on young and/or vulnerable people.

The group is made up mainly of third sector organisations (such as Shelter, GREC, Aberdeen Cyrenians) as well as representatives from the public sector, e.g. the Housing Access Service and Financial Inclusion Team.

Increasingly organisations in the North East are working with individuals with NRPF. A new leaflet has recently been published explaining what NRPF means and what support is available to people in emergency situations including a glossary of what support is provided by agencies in the north east. Click here to access the resource.

Similar problems to accessing public funds can extend to EEA nationals who have lost their right to reside. Having no right to reside effects an individual’s entitlement to housing, homelessness assistance and welfare benefits. The group have further published a leaflet explaining the relevant definitions and restrictions that apply to this group of individuals, and the support available to them in emergency situations. Click here to access this resource.

Get involved in the Working Group

The working group meet quarterly. Should any organisations or individuals working with groups affected by no recourse issues wish to join us please contact or to be added to the mailing list and receive details of our next meeting.

Are you affected by these issues?

If you are an EU national who has recently been told you have “No Right to Reside” and that you are unable to receive benefits or any help from the council.

If you are from outside the EU you may have had a change of circumstances which has left you in need of financial or other support.  However, your visa may state that you have “No Recourse to Public Funds” and therefore you may have been told that no one can help you.

Rules and laws around these issues are very complicated and there are many exceptions.  The No Recourse – North East Scotland Group promotes ways in which people in great need can be supported.   Click here for leaflets which include support services that may be able to advise you on your situation.